[Asterisk-Users] telnet and Root

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Fri Aug 20 11:17:03 MST 2004

Hello.

To answer your question, root is a restricted account.  It
is too powerful to trust a telnet connection.  So, you
telnet (preferably SSH) in as a normal user, and then type
`su -` and enter the root password.  Su (short for
SuperUser?) allows you to become root.  The - specifies to
load all of root's environment variables.

If you really want to be able to telnet in as root, locate
telnetd.conf or somesuch and it should be in there somewhere
as a yes/no.  (It is for ssh anyway..)

-Ejay

Of neil
> Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 4:39 AM
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] telnet and Root
>
> Sorry if this is posted to the wrong forum but as it is
> related to a problem I have with Asterisk it may just
scrape through!!

> I am running Fedora 1 and I can telnet in to my asterisk
box
> as any user except root and am using the same credentials
as
> logging in locally. I am new to Linux and any help would
be