[Asterisk-Users] telnet and Root

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Fri Aug 20 10:57:36 MST 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 12:14:00PM -0500, Steven Critchfield said:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 11:59, Steve Szmidt wrote:

Oh, there are lots of things unencrypted ports are still used for. lprd,
instant messaging, VoIP, etc.  Some of these things are used inside a
protected network or over a VPN, some are not.

Frankly, there are better tools for testing network applications than
telnet.

nc, s_client (for testing ssl based apps), etc. There are
better tools for testing specific protocols.
http://www.jetmore.org/john/code/vmail for smtp, curl for http, etc.

> BTW, get used to that need as the more people move to wireless networks.
> Think how easy it is to roll into a cafe with wireless hotspot and
> capture usernames and passwords for all those checking email.

Sure, but in the business world we use VPN's and such to make wireless
more secure. There are still many unencrypted protocols that are widely
used inside any network and that's not going to change any time soon.

Man in the middle attacks can still cause problems for encrypted
applications too...