[Asterisk-Users] DID Questions

Kanuri, Seshu seshu.kanuri at citigroup.com
Fri Aug 20 06:35:02 MST 2004

I agree with Mohammed.

There are two ways to handle a 1877 call by the PSTN provider, when some one dials the number.

1) Teminate the call to another PSTN Number like 1-732-452-9222
2) By redirecting the call to a destination IP Address(i.e the IP address of a gateway) running similar protocol ex:SIP or H323
   In order to do this the PSTN provider has to convert the TDM call to a VOIP call with the required translation in the T1 PRIs of their VOIP Access Gateways, and then forward it to the destination IP.
   Check whether your provider can send it to your gateway as SIP call and not as H323 call, as all providers will not be able to terminate the calls as SIP. Most of the providers I know of are having Old CISCO AS5300/5400 equipment that can only translate abd send calls as H323.

Seshu Kanuri