[Asterisk-Users] not yet a new user, some questions

Thu Aug 19 01:06:03 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 17:42, Nicola Murino wrote:
> I would like to have some more informations on asterisk,

Read more of the mailing list, more of the various websites like
www.digium.com and www.voip-info.org

> I want to setup a linux based pbx and asterisk seems to be the best solution,

Of course it is :)

> I have some questions for configuration:
>
> 1) I have a PRI, so I must buy a digium card to interface with PRI, right?

Well, you could always buy the dialogic cards, but I think they are a
lot more expensive than the digium cards.

> 2) If I connect an ethernet card from the pc (equipped with a digium card
> connectd to the PRI) to a switch I can connect users to this switch, right? I
> can connect traditional analouge phones to this switch?

By switch, I assume you mean like a 24 port ethernet switch?
In that case, no, you can't connect analogue phones to an ethernet
switch. You can connect VoIP phones to a switch (like the grandstream
phones etc) or you can purchase a TE405/TE410 digium (4 port T1/E1) and
a connect channel bank to one of the ports and the PRI to another port.

See the www.voip-info.org for info on channel banks, or VoIP phones.

> 3) asterisk doesn't support fax, right?

Right, asterisk is a PBX, it supports telephony. Fax is an application
of the telephone line.
However, there is an application for asterisk (spandsp, see the website
www.voip-info.org for more details) which will support fax.

In fact, I just spent about 30 minutes to adapt my working asterisk
system to receive my first fax using spandsp. I then spent an extra hour
or so packaging it to email me the faxes etc (see the.... you know it by
now)

> 4) there is some hardware that support ISDN lines? I can use asterisk with
> ISDN?

ISDN is vague. There is hardware to support ISDN PRI and ISDN BRI. By
this question I assume you mean BRI. Either way, the answer is yes.
Search the website for more details, I can't be bothered anymore.

PS, search the website www.voip-info.org

Regards,
Adam