[Asterisk-Users] Not a User Yet - but have some questions

Peter Harrison peter at nbn.co.nz
Wed Aug 18 19:37:09 MST 2004

I've been tasked with fitting out an appartment building with a phone system.
The entire appartment is getting broadband, with Cat6 Cables into each
appartment and fibre down the trunk. I was hoping to have PSTN in the
basement connecting to the IP system.

Today I found out however that one of the services will be paid TV - and it
will need a PSTN backchannel - ie a modem. The set top devices don't support
IP, they have modems built in, and I don't believe they are willing to
provide an alternative. Also, the tenants may wish to call IP services via
modem, or use a Fax.

My question: Can you run modems/Fax over VoIP?