[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Question

me peaceout mepeaceoutman at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 15:28:06 MST 2004

Good Day List,

I am interested in the Asterisk product and have seamed to be able to answer
most of my questions on the wiki board.  However, there is a single question
that continues to haunt me and so here i am asking the Users list.

Does Asterisk support users logging into asterisk from the phone?

I know that it supports ACD Group agents logging in to present themselves as
available for a call, but my question is in regards to standard users.

Lets say i have 4 phones, one in each office.
I have 8 employees who share those offices

If Sam is set up as extension number 1000
and Bob is Extension 1001
and Sally is 1002 etc......

If today Bob wants to use the phone in office A can he pick up the phone in
that office and login so asterisk knows that Bob (extension 1001) should be
routed to the phone in office A.

Then tomorrow Bob works in office B)  Can he again pickup the phone in
office B and login such that the Asterisk server routes all calls to BOB
(Extension1001) to the phone in office B.

Etc........

Finally if the answer to the above is a resounding "Yes you greenhorn it
most obviously does :-P"

Can I have multiple people log into the same phone simultaneously for
example lets say Bob (extension 1001), Sally (extension 1002) and Dave
(extension 1000) are all working in the conference room.
Can they each log into the phone such that the Asterisk server sends all
calls destined to extension 1000, 1001, 1002 to the phone in the conference
room?

Lastly,  Again if the Answer is a resounding "Yes stupid you should RTFM
(read the F!@# Manual) then could someone please assist me by providing a
link to this functionality.

Thanks for your time and patience in this matter.

~peaceoutman