[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Dial-Up ISP

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Aug 18 07:59:39 MST 2004

Mark_C_Thomas at bankone.com wrote:
> Yes, I know this is lame, but my location limits me to using a dial-up
> ISP.  I am running asterisk with a T100P and a TDM400 card.  I currently
> have dial-on-demand setup on the same box, using diald and an external
> modem.  To prevent DOD from trying to dial out during an external call, I
> have an AGI script kill diald before initiating a call, and then restart
> it at the end of the call by looking for the call record in the cdr-csv
> log.  This works most of the time, but not always.  Sometimes a call gets
> dropped and the user will redial before agi completes, resulting in a
> mess.
> So my question is: is there a better way to integrate asterisk with
> dial-up on a single phone line?  Can I use the T100P as a modem somehow
> and have asterisk arbitrate it's use?

Yuck!

I assume that you only need to kill the diald when making PSTN calls.
Then again, that's probably how you make the bulk (if not all) of your
calls, considering your limited bandwidth. :-)

Rather than scanning the CDR somehow, perhaps you should use the 'h'
extension to detect the hangup.  You can run an AGI or System from
there to do whatever you need.

You could get fancy and create some sort of lock file to prevent
Asterisk from dialling out while the restart AGI is running.  The
"kill diald" script could check for the lock file and either wait or
die.  The "restart diald" script could create a file wile processing
and delete when done.

Just to reiterate my earlier point - yuck! :-)

> confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
> are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained
> herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you
> received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the
> sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or
> hard copy format. Thank you

WARNING:  This email may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.  Do not
insert this email into the ear canal.  The author will not be held
responsible for injuries due to reading this email in a shower.
Prolonged inhalation of fumes from this email may result in nausea,
dizziness, convulsions and death.  Do not operate a motor vehicle,
heavy equipment or power tools while reading this email.  Dispose of
this email in a responsible manner when finished reading.  The author
of this email is under pressure -- do not puncture or incinerate emails
from this author, even when empty.  This email may not be suitable for
children under 12.  Discontinue reading this email if a skin rash
appears and consult a doctor immediately.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz