[Asterisk-Users] [probably OT] wireless voip converter

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Aug 17 21:34:44 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield [critch at basesys.com] wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 21:24, Damjan wrote:
> > I'm looking for a product to connect my 30-some DECT users to the voip
> > (SIP) network. Some kind of DECT base station that connects to ethernet
> > and supports the sip protocol. And it should have the capacity to
> > support 30 (or maybe even more) users simultaneously.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a product like that?
> >
> Asterisk + E100P + a E1 channel bank.

Another solution would be 15 Sipura SPA-2000s.  I have two DECT base
stations on my home setup, each base station has one DECT portable
phone.  The two base stations are connected to the two FXS ports on
the Sipura.  This works flawlessly and I don't see any reason why it
couldn't scale up to 30.

Each portable phone will need its own base station in the setup I
have described, as would be true for Stephen's detailed idea.  I don't
know of any SIP-enabled DECT/GAP base stations that can handle more
than four handsets in use at the same time.

Here's a SIP-enabled DECT base station that can apparently handle
two PSTN lines and 15 handsets, but I don't know anything about the
product nor its suitability to your environment:

    http://www.netvox.com.tw/english/newproducts/v208.htm

That product's web page seems to suggest otherwise, but if it can
handle calls being made in/out from all 15 handsets at once then that'd
be a great little box.  It could obviously only handle two PSTN calls,
but you'd expect SIP calls to be exempt from that limitation.

The company has seen fit to not publish prices on their website, but
here's an article that suggests that they cost around $130-170:

    http://www.globalsources.com/am/article_id/9000000045027/page/showarticle?action=GetArticle

Any Sipura (or channel bank) solution will require an individual DECT
base station for every handset.  If you don't have those then perhaps
a bunch of two-port, SIP-enabled DECT base stations would be appropriate.
It would be great if you could register 15 handsets with one SIP-enabled
base station, but if you could only use two of them at any once then
that's not a lot of use - depending upon your environment, of course.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz