[Asterisk-Users] New $89 VOIP phone

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Tue Aug 17 14:14:34 MST 2004

A matter of preference I suppose... I wouldn't count the number of ports or
the type of ports in the phone as a reason for buying... The phone could
come with a 4-port switch for all I care...

> Small desktop switches generally don't have any QOS, tend to look bad
> under a desk...

No phone that I have seen supports QoS on it's switch ports (not even the
ciscos)...

>...and require another power outlet.

Speakers, pencil shapeners, cocks, cellphone chargers, etc... All use
"another power outlet" also that's what a power strip is for...

> The switching wall plates from Cisco and 3com cost almost as much as the
> IP phones we are trying to sell our customers,

Where are you looking for wall plates? The switching ones I'm talking about
are like $40-50 maybe $100 at the most expensive...

> and many of the customers don't have wall plates to begin with.

What are they hanging from the ceiling? And you think a switch under a desk
looks bad?

If a company is going to move from POTS to an all-voip setup, then network
topology MUST be factored into the cost... Simply "Making it work" with a
switch built into a phone is a very bad idea... For home use, connecting
your PCs to a home network, sure it's a great solution...

Anyway, this was intended to be a My 0.02 kinda thing... I am getting WAY OT
so everyone please forgive me...

    -Chris