[Asterisk-Users] couple basic questions

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Tue Aug 17 11:57:18 MST 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, John Williams wrote:

> My desire to run Asterisk is finally giving me the reason to install a
> Linux box at home.
>  Is RH9 the only distro that Asterisk will run on, and can anyone
> recommend a good source for a cheap Linux (RH9)  box?
>  For example, walmart.com has microtel boxes with no OS.  Will RH9 and
> Asterisk run on these boxes?

oh, no no.. Asterisk should run on nearly any distro (provided basic
things like C libraries and stuff).

I've found that the property surplus store at the local university is a
good source for cheap, though dated, PCs. I've seen PII 300+ MHz boxes in
the US$60 range. This is MUCH more power than you'll need for a home
asterisk install (I have two; both run on P-200 class machines with
slackware 9.0).

And as Chris mentioned.. it'd be wise to get comfortable with Linux
generally before diving too quickly into Asterisk. It would be easy to get
overwhelmed and lose enthusiasm if you bite off too much all at once.

Greg