[Asterisk-Users] Polycom SoundPoint IP 500/600 XML minibrowser

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Aug 16 19:56:05 MST 2004

At 4:16 PM -0700 on 8/16/04, Wiley E. Siler wrote:
> [...]

Cool; I've been waiting for that release, and I'm very happy to see
the XML minibrowser in the SIP image.

I dug through the manual, but did not see the feature that I've been
waiting for: XML URL fetching based on SIP INVITE or SIP NOTIFY
parameters.  I'd like to add a SIP header (or partial header) to my
INVITEs so that the phone will jump to an XML URL upon receipt of the
INVITE.  This would allow a "screen pop" with more useful data in it,
instead of just a simple caller ID.  I could bring up a picture, a
chart, a call history, etc. etc. etc.  In other words: a "push" to
the phone for a page based on a realtime event.  However, I don't see
that in there.  Boo hoo.  This might be possible with the 'services'
button, but that requires user intervention, and probably would have
to happen after the phone has been picked up - I haven't tried, and
my schedule prevents me from trying at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

PS: Everyone who has a Cisco 79xx phone _must_ get a Polycom IP600
somehow on their desk.  The administrator's manual has so many cool
features that can/should be integrated into Asterisk, that it's worth
just reading the PDF to see how useful an IP phone could actually be
if we (Asterisk) had support for some of the advanced features like
shared line appearances, call bridging, and barge-in.  Cisco: listen
up.  These guys will eat your lunch if you keep crippling the SIP
projects.

JT