[Asterisk-Users] Help - is voip good for in-house calls?

Nicolas Gudino nicolas at house.com.ar
Sun Aug 15 09:03:49 MST 2004

Hi Francis,

Francis Augusto Medeiros wrote:
> Hi there everyone!
>
> I work at an office where we plant to have about 12-15 phone
> extensions. Costs of PBX are cheaper, but they are not expandable and,
> as the office is brand new, I want to use all modern stuff.
>
> My question is: if I buy 12-15 Grandstream Budgetone 101 phones, and
> install and asterisk server, as well as a Digium TDM400 for POTS
> access, will I have the same voice quality and standards as a
> PBX-only, with "traditional" phones? Or should I go all the way to
> Digium's TDM? Or should I forget the whole thing and get a traditional
> PBX? ;)

If you already have the analog telephone wiring in place, and you are on
a budget, I recomend you to use sipura spa-2000 adapters. They are a
whole lot better than GS phones. You can have 3way conferences and
attendant transfers. With GS you cannot do that. The price is as good
for the sipuras as the GS phones, about $50 per FXS port, plus a cheap
analog phone and you will be all set.

> My concerns are most latencies. Our network will be a switch with lots
> of ports, all 100mb/s, with VERY low traffic.

Internal calls (SIP to SIP) will sound great. You will probably
experience some echo when going to POTS. I did not try the Sipura
SPA-3000 yet, but it seems to be a cheap alternative to a gateway,
providing you with one FXO and one FXS for $130 or so. the echo
cancellation in the sipura works well for fxs, it might work well to for
fxo.

--
Nicolas Gudino
House Internet S.R.L.