[Asterisk-Users] Help - is voip good for in-house calls?

Wiley E. Siler wsiler at e2020inc.com
Sat Aug 14 15:23:35 MST 2004

Hello Francis,

> I'll most likely use a BRI. Do you think this will help to avoid echo?

I could not say as I have never used a BRI and I am pretty new to this
too.  I do know that BRI is supported from watching conversations in
this email list and reading online.  People seem to use it a bit so it
must work well.  Googling the list with BRI should get you tons of good
leads.

Greg had a great idea in having you set it up and try it.  In fact, that
is exactly how I did mine.  I purchase a cheap clone card for $15 and
used it to test on one POTS line while I tweaked my configuration files
and got the system validated.  I tested the system with soft phones, one
Polycom IP 500, and one Grandstream Budgetone 101.  The Budgetone worked
well and was leagues easier to setup than my Polycom actually.

For expandability, I believe that the cap I have seen is about 60
concurrent calls for one Asterisk box and that is with a pretty serious
server by most users standards.  I cannot imagine having that many calls
at this point so I am fine but I jus though t you would want to know.
The nice thing about * is that you can just build another server and
link them together over IAX. Again, the low cost of implementation pays
off and you get to continue growth.  I will never go back to proprietary
PBX now that I finally have a solution that I can control.

Cheers,
Wiley