[Asterisk-Users] [Q] DIDs

Roderick A. Anderson raa at mailporter.net
Fri Aug 13 15:18:52 MST 2004

Well I suspect this list will pick up quite a bit since the article in
Linux Magazine.  So I'll try to get my questions in early.

I looked at Asterisk about a year ago but the TPTB wanted a prebuilt
solution (at that time) and I couldn't find anyone local enough to
satisfiy them.  We still don't have a new phone system because no one
offered a good solution at a reasonable price.  I brought my Linux
Magazine in to the office yesterday and mentioned the article.  Guess
what?  Yup, now it sounds like a good deal even if we do it ourselves.

Three questions came up and I didn't find them in the FAQs though a
couple of the linked to sites got close but still no cigar.

1. Does the software/(or cards?) support DIDs; as in the called number
is reported verses the line/extension the called number is
pointed-to/cones-in-on? (Be gentle I'm not all the phone savvy.)

2. And has anyone used NORSTAR phones with Asterisk?  As in plugged them
in and they work similar to the way they work with a NORTEL system?  On
a multi-line phone the LCD shows the extension that the call is for.

3. Company segregation.  Currently we're running two companies off one
NORTEL system with each providing different levels of service to their
customers.  Well every so often the less-er company will have a customer
that gets punch happy and gets an extension that is not listed for that
company and get someone from the other company.  Not too good.

All pointers, answers (or good jokes) appreciated,

TIA,
Rod
--

---