[Asterisk-Users] Using a TE405P to connect to an existing PBX

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Fri Aug 13 14:30:35 MST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, drodden wrote:

> We originally purchased a TE405P so we could connect our Asterisk server
> directly to the T1 PRI from our provider, however due to all the
> problems reported with T1 PRI's interacting directly with Asterisk, we
> scrapped that idea and decided to stick with our Cisco router making the
> conversion to SIP.

We use a pri without any real problems. YMMV.

> Anyways, we found a new potential use for it. We have an old location
> with an existing PBX, and they want to be able to "share" our PRI's here
> and make calls to our location without tying up phone lines. Their
> existing PBX system has 2 PRI's from some telco running into it. If I
> put 1 or 2 TE405P's inside a decent machine, can it "trick" their PBX
> system into thinking it's talking to a standard PRI? Essentially be a
> FXS port instead of an FXO port? Looking at the zaptel.conf file and it
> seems as simple as using fxoks vs fxsks? And then using a T1 crossover
> cable to get a link?

I think you have confused a digital trunk line and a PRI. A PRI runs isdn
signalling (pri_cpe or pri_net depending on which end of the link it is
on). If your equipment is pri then you will probably be able to connect it
to a te405p. Configure one port for pri_net and one for pri_cpe and
connect appropriatly. A crossover cable will be needed somewhere.

> The documentation I've found on configuring a TE405P isn't very
> detailed, does anybody have a link to some more in depth instructions
> with lots of examples? Do you recommend 2 cards in one server, or 2
> different servers?

One te405p handles 4 t1/e1 links, giving 92/120 B channels. If you need
more than that (it does not sound like that from your description) you
will probably need more than one machine. At least that seems to be the
concensus on this mailing list.

Peter