[Asterisk-Users] Blocking the 'Do Not Call" List

Thu Aug 12 21:34:41 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 01:38, Dana Nowell wrote:
> This is interesting but did you check space consumption?  On my system it
> appears that each directory is about 4K bytes.  One million phone numbers
> at 10 digits (or 1 number) is 10 million directories (or one million
> 'number' directories) at 4K bytes per that's 40Gig (or 4Gig).  I'm not
> saying that's impossible but it seems to be an expensive why to store 10
> meg of data (OK, 11 meg with a delimiter).

Except that reiserfs has two advantages:

* It doesn't use the concept of inodes, so there is no limit there.

* It can pack more than one file/directory entry into a single block.

So reiserfs wouldn't be such a bad solution. It is IMHO quite nice
(better than C coded in-memory linked list etc...) since it is much
easier for a shell script, perl script, etc, to modify/access the
database. Also, any updates can take effect immediately, and you get the
added advantage of having most of the filesystem data being cached by
the OS for quick access.....

I'm not saying it is THE solution, or that it is even a good solution.
However, it is something that you might consider, and perhaps test it to
see if it is actually useful or not... (ie, it may not perform well at
all).

Adam