[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and SMP

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Thu Aug 12 06:19:37 MST 2004

Steve Szmidt wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 August 2004 11:03 am, Matt Schulte wrote:
>> Does anything have to be done at compile time in order for Asterisk
>> to take advantage of 2 CPU's?
>
> Nope.

I just pulled the hard drive and scsi card out of my optiplex (single cpu p2
400) and installed it in a dell workstation 400 (dual cpu p2 300).

I pulled 2.4.27(I think) from kernel.org and recompiled it for SMP on this
box and rebooted. All is well.

Does anyone think I "downgraded", going from a single 400 to dual 300's? I
was hoping that going to a dual system would give it an edge, and make the
box capable of handling 1-4 voip calls without skipping a beat. I guess
we'll see... (Not that I have the hardware to do 4 calls right now, but I
will, later.)

-----
Andrew Thompson
NetResults, Inc.