[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 12sp+ and 30VIP

Mike Coakley mcoakley at ioumail.com
Wed Aug 11 05:55:48 MST 2004

Carlos,

As far as I can tell from pulling the phone apart I don't see an
EEPROM. There is one chip that could be an EEPROM (has a sticker on it
with the MAC address). But from the shape I believe it is a NVRAM type
chip (just a guess though). (Probably is a boot ROM though.) Could be
an electrical problem but I doubt it since the problem happens across
multiple different phones with different power supplies and different
outlets on different electrical circuits.

Anyway... inside the 12sp+ there are two circuit boards. One board made
by Intecom (model # ITE-12 / part # 73-4144-01). This is the board that
handles the keypad and most likely the basic phone display and
functionality. That board is connected to a second board produced by
Selsius Systems through a 10 pin connector. This board has the network
controller on it (Smsc LAN91C94), a DC-DC converter, an Altera Flex
6000 logic gate chip, some flash & ram chips, a DSP chip, an Intel
386EX processor, the chip that has the MAC address on it and a small
(basically) square chip with a Cisco label on it.

I'm not an electronics expert or even novice really but if I was to bet
on it I would say that the key to making these phones work again is in
the chip with the MAC address on it and the small square Cisco chip.
BTW... those are the only 2 chips that can be removed without
soldering. Also as someone mentioned in a previous post on the mailing
list there is a debug port (10 pin connector) and a WDTOUT 2 pin
connector. I have NO idea what those connectors are used for or what
each pin is used for. Most likely... hook a PC up to the DEBUG port ...
send some special commands and COM a replacement image to the chips and
off you go. Just need the procedure.

Thanks,

Mike