[Asterisk-Users] Re: VoIP SPAM, what's next ?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Aug 11 01:13:40 MST 2004

At 10:14 PM +0200 on 8/10/04, Loek Gijben wrote:
>"hank" <hank at hanksmith.net> wrote:
>>  voip spam?
>>  I have never gotten any yet.
>
>It's is just waiting for the first one to arrive..
>The mechanics are just too appealing for spam-like businesses.
>
>Imagine a telemarketeer script that dials lists of VoIP addresses.
>Instead of having
>to pay for each call they use cheap Internet bandwioth. The same
>cost savings we
>use * for applies to the telemarketeers also.

How is it that different?

>  > > VOIP Spam is actually pretty trivial to take care of, if only the
>>  > manufacturers would wise up.
>
>That's oversimplified. You wan't people that you don't know yet to
>be able to contact
>you. (I want potential customers to call my business number).
>All kind of SMTP scanning and filtering techniques won't do good in
>the VoIP world
>as you cannot examine the whole message. It's realtime..
>
>My 2 eurocents,
>loek gijben

Yes, it's oversimplified, but you're missing the point.  The point is
that if we don't have individual components that can be secured to
the point where there is an authentication method for accepting
calls, then we're trying to bail the boat with a sieve.  The "middle"
of the network will be smart for a long time, though the control of
the middle is moving all the way to the edge (users able to control
their own whitelists/blacklists/methods) and the middle is certainly
getting closer to the edge (SIP-based proxy and PBX systems getting
cheaper, but probably not household items for a long, long time, if
ever, for the bulk of the market.)  So, I'm content with trusting
that the spam control will be handled by the "middle" of the network,
as long as we have some way of authenticating calls between the
middle and the edge.

PS: Businesses will always be subject to VOIP Spam - they _want_
unsolicited calls.   There's nothing  you can do to prevent
salespeople from calling your business unless you either (a) have a
human filtering the calls, or (b) push your customers or potential
customers through a lot of voicemail routines which will get them to
hang up.  That's reality.  Spam-reduction techniques can cut down on
a lot, but those filters will always be looser for businesses.

JT