[Asterisk-Users] Re: VoIP SPAM, what's next ?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Tue Aug 10 16:47:40 MST 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 4:34 PM, Walt Reed wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:12:51PM -0700, Scott Laird said:
>> Why stop there--you can beam pre-recorded messages to phones without a
>> person or phone line ever being involved.  You could send hundreds of
>> calls per minute without paying for more then a cheap PC and a T-1.
>
> Well, this seems like an DNSBL would be helpful. DNSBL's work quite
> well
> at shutting off the big spammer networks. VoIP spam from broadband /
> DSL
> / dialup shouldn't be as bad due to the limited bandwidth unless they
> do
> the backdoor / trojan / viruses like email spammers do.

I don't know--a couple hundred zombie PCs dialing 200 numbers per
minute each still sounds like a big problem to me, and blocking lists
aren't usually very good at that sort of thing.

I'm sure that there's a solution out there somewhere, but I don't
really know what it is.  Centrally-managed PKI'd work, but it has
political and economic problems.  I mean, if everyone has a
centrally-signed certificate for caller ID signing, who's going to stop
you from using it to encrypt your voice traffic?  Plus, who wants to
pay Verisign $50+ per phone number?

Scott