[Asterisk-Users] Re: VoIP SPAM, what's next ?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Aug 10 11:13:42 MST 2004

At 7:14 PM +0200 on 8/10/04, Soren Rathje wrote:
>Gang,
>
>Do anyone have a clue on how they do this ??
>
>"QOVIA FILES PATENTS FOR VOICE SPAM BLOCKING TECHNOLOGY"
>http://www.qovia.com/company/news/06.28.2004_voip_spam_patent_app_final.htm
>
>"Qovia ready to take on VoIP spam"
>http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/071204qovia.html
>
>Next thing will probably be a sbl.e164.org service to block spammers
>like we do with email... :-)
>
>Hmm.. Imagine a built-in reporting tool in Asterisk. Hit **666**#
>and Asterisk will report the IP address of the caller (and possibly
>also the CID but it can be forged as we all know) on-line and in
>real-time to a SBL list for immediate blocking and further
>processing...
>
>Any takers ??
>
>/Soren
>
>It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
>without accepting it.
>- Aristotle

VOIP Spam is actually pretty trivial to take care of, if only the
manufacturers would wise up.  We're in the same place we were with
SMTP about twelve years ago.  I'm sure we'll see a slew of patents
and chest-pounding by people with obvious or trivial solutions -
welcome to the New WIPO World.

The solution is simple: "End devices should have the option to only
accept authenticated requests."

That's pretty simple, but that is the key to the whole solution.
However, most end devices will blindly accept any call that they're
given, so long as the destination number is correct.  I've seen a few
phones (Polycom is the only one that comes to mind) which will
challenge INVITEs.  SIP devices are pretty smart, but I don't think
they're capable of being "totally" smart.  The proxy in the middle
will have to retain some intelligence and reference some type of
permissions model or database to allow calls through or not.  I trust
that industry (and quasi-industry, like Asterisk) programmers will
come up with dozens of ways of intercepting and thrashing unsolicited
phone call, so long as there is no back door that the spammer can
sleaze through to get right to the desktop.

TLS SIP is also a nice concept, since it would require some sort of
"root" authentication that could be revoked or at least recognized if
a spam origin was adequately recognized.  This is all starting to
sound a lot like an anti-spam thread, so I'll stop here.  Most
intelligent people on the list should be able to figure out a bunch
of ways to prevent spam, but the primary one is accountability of
origin.  Anything that allows that accountability to be compromised
from the perspective of the destination means that spam will
inevitably slide in, so it is our job to enforce sane
authentication/authorization mechanisms NOW on the vendors from whom
we buy equipment/firmware.

JT