[Asterisk-Users] WiFi phone radiation regulation?

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Tue Aug 10 07:14:51 MST 2004

All,

I just had the fortune to take one of the new Senao Wifi SIP phones for
a short test drive. First look - it's a nice, compact phone. Weighs
around 87g and roughly the size of a Nokia 6210. More on the those
later. The thing that struck me was the RF power, it's rated at 100mw
(20dBm). That's 10 times more than any of the other brands out on the
market  Cisco, WiSIP, Zyxel are all rated at 10mW.

I'm not really sure if I want to stick something with that power to my
ear. Assuming a reasonable antenna gain of 2.2dBi, we're talking about
22.2dBm - that's nearly 200mW of power radiating out of the phone. At
2.4GHz, it has higher penetration power than cells phones.

My question:
Does anyone know if cell phone SAR rules apply to WiFi phones as well?
Over here in Singapore, there seems to be a loophole. As long as your
equipment is in 2.4GHz, approval is not required if Tx power is <200mW.