[Asterisk-Users] just a few newbie questions

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Tue Aug 10 02:41:30 MST 2004

> Reciving Calls:
> ---------------
> - To be able to recive calls, i need to have an VoIP-Provider.

No, you can receive calls by other means, e.g. ISDN line, analog line etc

> - I need a Static IP, so that the VoIP-Provider can redirect the call
> to my office/asterisk server.- asterisk will then forward the call to
> my phone

No, you can register with your changing IP to your provider

> Making Calls:
> ---------------
> - To be able to make calls, i need to have an VoIP-Provider.

No, you can make calls via analog or ISDN lines as well

> - I need an account from a VoIP-Provider

No

> - A call from a Softphone/Office will be made to the asterisk server,
> which will then forward it to the VoIP Provider, which will then
> transfer it to the normal telephone network.

This scenario is possible. However, nothing will automacally be forwarded.
Asterisk is more like a PBX construction set. If you want forwarding, you
have to code this into your dialplan.

> Correct to far?

I suggest you use http://www.voip-info.org and http://www.asteriskdocs.org
. The link to the doc is quite hidden there, try "Download Asterisk Docs"
on the left menu, despite this title, you can view the Docs online as
well.