[Asterisk-Users] How to notify the user about new message using SMS

Bartosz Wegrzyn junk at lexon.ws
Sun Aug 8 12:57:06 MST 2004

Hi,

I would like to be able to notify users about new voicemail messages
through the SMS system.  I added a system command in my extensions.conf
file that sends a SMS message to the user. I am using a sendSMP.pl script
that I downloaded from the web.
It works fine when executed separately, but if executed within asterisk it
is not working. This is a part of my context:

exten => 0,1,Playback(pls-wait-connect-call)
exten => 0,2,SetCallerID(17734660101)
exten => 0,3,SetCIDName(Operator)
exten => 0,4,SetMusicOnHold(default)
exten => 0,5,Dial(SIP/17083519199 at broadvoice,20,m)
exten => 0,6,Wait(1);
exten => 0,7,Playback(im-sorry)
exten => 0,8,Playback(nbdy-avail-to-take-call)
exten => 0,9,Playback(pls-lv-msg-will-contact)
exten => 0,10,voicemail,s9999
exten => 0,11,System("/scripts/sendSMS.pl -r 17083519199 -p TMOBILE -s
operator -m ${CALLERID}")
exten => 0,12,Hangup

and this is the error:

 -- Executing System("SIP/192.168.0.3-0891abc8", ""/scripts/sendSMS.pl -r
17083519199 -p TMOBILE -s operator -m "Bartosz Wegrzyn" <7734660101>"")
in new stack
/bin/sh: line 1: /scripts/sendSMS.pl -r 17083519199 -p TMOBILE -s operator
-m Bartosz: No such file or directory

The script is not working because of the "<>" characters in caller ID.
Is there any way to change that so asterisk will pass the variables
without ""<> characters.

Or do you know any other way to send SMS messages.
I tried to create the separate executable file with the command to send
sms message, but then I dont have a caller ID. Is there any way that I
could pass the $CALLERID variable to my script.
Also, the command that I execute is before the asterisk goes to the
voicemail system.  This is bad because if caller dont leave a message
asterisk will send a SMS message.
How can I check if the caller leave the message and the execute the script?

Thanks

Bart