TEMPORARY FIX: Re: [Asterisk-Users] RC1 problem? (Conversation over two IAX2 streams = nasty, gappy audio)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Aug 7 05:18:44 MST 2004

On Saturday 07 August 2004 01:34, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> home* -IAX2- colo* -IAX2- switch-1.nufone.net

Steve looked over the debug data I'd sent and it appears that there's a jitter
buffer bug with IAX2 that is worked around but not under all conditions.  I'm
sure once Steve has it nailed down he'll give us a detailled explanation.

The temporary solution Steve gave me was to disable jitter buffer on home*
(and any other of my * boxes which talk to nufone THROUGH my colo* box --
it's got to be disabled on the box that first generates the IAX2 traffic, not
the "middle" box).

jitterbuffer=no

That was it.  The "lag" column in "iax2 show channels" is always zero now but
the gappy audio does seem to be gone.

Another fix if you need the jitter buffer is to recompile chan_iax2.c after
commenting out the #define BRIDGE_OPTIMIZATION line

Thanks again Steve, this is great.  You just can't get this kind of support
from proprietary vendors -- at least not without giving up a firstborn first.

Regards,
Andrew