[Asterisk-Users] Interesting catalog: Viking Electronics

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Fri Aug 6 23:33:15 MST 2004

jay at skimmilk.net (Jay Milk) writes:
> Make a sign -- I've been trying train my mail-carriers to use the
> DOORBELL and not just knock.  Geez, people, what does it take??

Why not get one of those dual PIR (Passive Infra Red) / microwave
alarm sensors?  They cost ~$50, run off of a 12v supply and have a
relay closure for output.  Just wire it to the dial button on your
door phone and you'll have a CDR record of when the delivery people
dropped off a package even if they have an aversion to using the
doorbell (which mine also have).

Come to think of it, maybe a cool but simple hack would be an asterisk
driver that took 8 relay closures via the parallel port and could
initiate a different pre-canned phone message for each of them.
Eg. "Water has been detected in the computer room", "There is smoke in
the computer room" etc.

-wolfgang
openbsd amd64 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/asterisk-openbsd35.patch