[Asterisk-Users] ASTERISK AND 120 CONCURRENT CALLS

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Fri Aug 6 16:13:25 MST 2004

Hi Sebastian-

My guess is that running 4 E1's with transcoding on all channels will
overpower any single processor solution.  I base this only on my own testing
with 4 E1's running a simple IVR solution, with no transcoding.  The
processor (2.8 GHz Xeon) barely keeps up with this load.  I have 5 systems
installed that run this kind of load.  I tried dual xeons and this didn't
improve things much, but I was running an older 2.4 kernel.

These results could be a bit pessimistic.  My load tester produces a high
volume of short calls.  There is likely a lot of call setup & teardown load
contributing to the overall load.

Someone should try a multiprocessor solution with 4 E1's and some
transcoding and see where the limit really is.  Should be easy enough if you
have 2 boxes available - running 4 E1's on one to generate calls to 4 E1's
on the other.

regards
Scott Stingel

Scott M. Stingel