[Asterisk-Users] RC1 problem? (Conversation over two IAX2 streams = nasty, gappy audio)

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Fri Aug 6 14:36:09 MST 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> I've been having 'gappy' audio problems with nufone for about a week now but I
> think I've nailed it down.
>
> Setup:
> office* - iax2 - colo* - iax2 - nufone

> What I believe is happening is some kind of bug with regard to having a
> conversation go over two IAX2 streams.
>
> A call to Nufone will show "normal" lag and jitter values between colo* and
> Nufone, but the jitter values between office* and colo* seem to be unsigned
> but negative:
>
> Peer             Username    ID (Lo/Rem)  Seq (Tx/Rx)  Lag      Jitter  JitBuf
> Format
> 192.168.2.2      benphone    16385/16387  00178/00177  00006ms  6356992ms
> 0805ms  GSM
> 66.225.202.72    benshaw     16386/00025  00169/00171  00051ms  0012ms  0026ms
> GSM
>
> As a result the jitter buffer grows and grows and grows...  and we get
> horrendous audio.  jitterbuffer=off doesn't seem to make a difference.

OK...

jitterbuffer=off isn't valid.  Did you mean =no?  If you do turn the
jitterbuffer off then it will stop being used - frames will be delivered
immediately they arrive.  But the jitterbuffer code will still make and
report its measurements.  This is confusing, I must admit...

I have done lots of testing on a setup just like yours with good results.
Except without trunking (but you said trunking makes no difference)

I'd like you to send me a captured debug log from "colo" machine for a
call with this problem.

Here's what to do:

  in logger.conf make sure you have a line like so:

    debug => notice,warning,error,debug,verbose

  stop asterisk.
  delete or rename existing debug file ("rm /var/log/asterisk/debug")
  start asterisk with lots of debugging (eg "/usr/sbin/asterisk -vvvvvv -g  -dddddd -c")
  at CLI> prompt, enter "iax2 debug"

now initiate your call from "office" via nufone.

once your done with the call, quit asterisk, gzip up the debug file and
email it to me.

Let me see what is happening.

Regards,
Steve