[Asterisk-Users] is asterisk and/or spandsp what I need for integration with Cisco?

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Aug 5 21:16:50 MST 2004

On 2004.08.05 15:01 Brian Jarrett wrote:

> I'd like to get rid of the POTS lines and consolidate all of our fax
> machines using a fax server.  I've been successful in hooking up the
> ATA186 device to an external modem that is connected to a hylafax
> server.  What I'd really like is to do away with the ATA devices and
> modem.  The hylafax server is already on the VOIP network, so I'd
> really like some solution that doesn't require converting the call
> back into a POTS line before I can handle it.

Unless you are using ISDN or have some way to get t38modem to work with
your VoIP gateways (as you mention H323), then currently this is how
you have to configure Asterisk and HylaFAX to play together: in the FXO
port to Asterisk out an FXS port (in your case an ATA device) to the
HylaFAX modem.  Yes, it would be nice to eliminate the FXS port and the
modem.  (It would also make the communication more reliable.)

> Will spandsp work for this?

I can't speak for him, but I believe that Steve Underwood (spandsp
author) is working on a pseudo modem for HylaFAX to use which will
allow it to work with spandsp and Asterisk without the additional FXS
port and the modem.  Search the -dev archives for details.

> Do I need asterisk as well?

Well, in theory you could use any PBX/VoIP gateway that will allow you
to accomplish what you need, but yes, we generally talk about Asterisk
solutions here.

Lee.