AW: [Asterisk-Users] Integrating an old PBX with Asterisk

Stefan Märkle stefan.maerkle at netpioneer.de
Thu Aug 5 01:30:36 MST 2004

> Hi all,

Hi Marco,

> I was thinking about integrating an old PBX with Asterisk and I was wondering
> some possible configurations.

You didn't mention the number of lines your PBX uses, but think of a third scenario:

Install an asterisk with twice the number of BRI/PRI-Ports your current PBX has.
Connect half of them to your carrier, the other ones to your old PBX (Some sort
of proxy scenario, isn't it?).
Pro: - You don't have to change a single configuration option in your old PBX
       if you don't want to or are not able to ;-)
     - Full integration of asterisk users with old PBX users (internal calls,
       voicemailbox on asterisk even for ole PBX users etc.)
     - Very flexible configuration. For example let asterisk use 3-digit
       extensions while switching prior 2-digit extensions to the old PBX
Con: - Costs depending on your setup (Quad-Bri Junghanns costs about 600 Euro,
       Octo-Bri about 1000 don't know about PRI Cards or other vendors as Digium)
     - Risk management. Asterisk becomes SPOF for whole telephony system (at
       least for inbound/outbound calls)

In our company we will probably setup your scenario 2 for integration of some
voip-Users and voicemail functionality.

Just my 2 cents,

Stefan

--
Stefan Märkle                       Netpioneer GmbH
Leiter Knowledge Center       Beiertheimer Allee 18