[Asterisk-Users] FCC Rules VoIP Must Be Tappable

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Wed Aug 4 19:57:44 MST 2004

> Me raises his hand.
> > All in favor of IAX with native encrypted tunneling say Aye :-)
> > Now I'm likely in the target rings of Big Brother :-)

If the voice data passed through a service provider run asterisk
system, I'd imagine they'd just get a court order to force IAX
encryption to be turned off.  (Or try to pull some strings if the
service provider was in a foreign country.)

The question I have of this ruling is does this make end-to-End RTP
encryption illegal?  Ditto for re-invites that cut out all the
middlemen?  How are they planning in getting the two endpoints to stop
encrypting things without tipping off the same two endpoints?  What
about VPN tunnels?  Are they illegal now by the same logic?

-wolfgang
openbsd amd64 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/asterisk-openbsd35.patch