[Asterisk-Users] Rodopi Billing

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Aug 4 15:17:40 MST 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> Greg Boehnlein wrote:
>
> > We use Platypus from Boardtown, which was just acquired by Tucows.
> > Although it has it's quirks, having seen Rodopi, Emerald, Prism and
> > ISPEasy in action, I'll take Platypus ANY day!
> >
> > I have a method for hacking VoIP per minute billing into Platypus, but I
> > haven't executed it yet. Basically, we dump all of our CDR records to a
> > database. On a daily basis, we can tally up the the per-minute LD totals
> > for each customer and then insert a Radius Start/Stop record w/ the total
> > billing seconds for that day. Platypus's built in rate tables take care of
> > the rest. We provide 1,000 minutes of long distance with each account, so
> > at the end of the month when Platypus tallies up it's overage charges, if
> > the usage exceeds the limit, it bills the customer accordingly.
> >

> If that customer is still around to pay you.
>
> Billing for services such as VoIP should be in real-time, anything less
> is unacceptable in my book.

Perhaps, but most services that are usage based are billed in arrears. Not
everyone has a setup like NuFone, where people deposit money in advance
and you can just debit the calls against their account. You are a little
unique in that arena.

Try getting someone that spends $50,000 a year in Long Distance to put
most of it up front. If you can make that happen, god bless you, but most
of corporate America has been trained by 100+ years of telephone history
to pay their LD at the end of the month.

                             KP-216-121-ST