[Asterisk-Users] Get MWI from Telco's voicemail

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Wed Aug 4 14:59:22 MST 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:37:32PM -0400, Seth Remington wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 14:21, Scott Petersen wrote:
> > Since they only have two voice lines, with the third as a fax, I am using voicemail from the telco.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding you but why does this force you to use telco
> voice mail instead of * voice mail? You can also free that third line up
> for voice if you use faxdetect.

The concern from the client is that they want to have 2 people on the line plus a fax and still not give anyone a busy signal. Using asterisk voicemail does not allow this unless they pay for another line. Voicemail is a less expensive option ($10/month) than another line (~$50/month).

I am looking at getting a DID from a VOIP provider to try and make the price point a little better but, being in Victoria,BC the options are non-existant at the moment.  Vonage and Primus are the only two I have found that provide local (area code 250) DID's, but neither support integration with asterisk.

I discussed faxdetect but, as they are a law firm, they live and die by the fax and never want a situation where they can't send or recieve a fax. As well, I couldn't figure out how to dynamically disable echocancel and echotraining on a line. My experience is that fax is less reliable with those enabled.

Cheers
Scott Petersen
Xavier Solutions Inc.