[Asterisk-Users] Get MWI from Telco's voicemail

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Wed Aug 4 11:21:21 MST 2004

Howdy

I have a question regarding support for picking up when the telco sends a MWI message.

My client's setup is a small office with three incoming lines on a TDM400P with iaxy's and a Grandstream as extensions. I am using CVS Head from yesterday. (I was resolving a different issue.) Since they only have two voice lines, with the third as a fax, I am using voicemail from the telco.

What I am seeing is an event every half hour exactly, on each of the two voice lines. This causes the simple switch to kick in and ring the extensions. Of course there is no one there. I have put a workaround in the dialplan of using WaitForRing(0) as the first entry in the s extension. The downside is that it delays the ringing of the extensions by one ring which my clients don't really like.

Since these events happen every half hour and only on the lines that have voicemail I am very confident that it is the telco sending a trigger to turn the MWI on the phones either on or off. I really don't want to have to try and find out from the telco as their support is much, much, much, less than knowledgeable or helpful. What I am wondering is if there is any way for Asterisk to pick up on these message from the telco. It would be great to set the MWI on the extensions and remove the delay in ringing.

I have searched through the Wiki and lists.digium.com to try and track down information to no avail. I think I have looked at every message that has "MWI", "stutter" or "message waiting" in it. Everything that I can find only relates to Asterisk's voicemail. Any ideas or pointers are appreciated.

Cheers
Scott Petersen
Xavier Solutions Inc.
250-216-5407