[Asterisk-Users] VoIP experiences with Cable and DSL

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 06:07:42 MST 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:07:14 -0400, Steve Szmidt <steve at szmidt.org> wrote:

> For a few years now I've operated with cable as the obvious choice, at least
> in my area where RoadRunner really built up a good network. It could be that
> for nation wide implementation VoIP really should be on DSL. (Unless of
> course you need a big pipe where a split T is the only higher option.)

I currently use Cogeco cable in Oakville, ON, Canada.  It has been
fantastic!  I don't think I've used a provider with as much available
throughput (exactly as advertised).  Only occasionally does the
service go up and down, but that is infrequent.  I have an external
modem, and am using a pure VoIP setup with IAX trunking to my
VoIP/PSTN gateway.  Only occasionally do I get a dropped packet or
something, but nothing to worry about.  I spoke with my parents for an
hour over the connection, and there was no problems (actually... I was
getting some echo, but Asterisk nicely took care of it, and my parents
were not aware of any echo cancelling going on until I told them what
Asterisk was doing on my end, as I could hear it working).

I will be using Cogeco again for me internet (cable) so that I don't
have to pay Bell any money.  Unfortunately my buzzer isn't going to
work in the apartment, so I'll have to let guests in, but hey, I'll do
a bit of leg work just to save any of my money going to the greater of
two evils :)

Leif Madsen.
http://www.asteriskdocs.org