[Asterisk-Users] VoIP experiences with Cable and DSL

Chris cshaw59 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 18:47:51 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Szmidt" <steve at szmidt.org>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] VoIP experiences with Cable and DSL

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 08:06 pm, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> And yes I know all about huge queues... The cure for that (at least with
> DSL) is to get a Sangoma S518 -- it's a PCI ADSL modem with drivers for
> everything... I just prioritise packets now (no rate limiting) and get my
> full 4M/800kbit without any nonsense. I can flood the link in both
> directions and my VOIP sounds perfect.

And cutting own my own speed to right below what I can push before they
start
queuing. The only problem with that, might be a fluctuating buffering level
on their end as traffic changes.

I take it you paid $200 for the Sangoma?

Did you have to get through any hoops to get it up, or did it just
autoconfigure, as advertized, and you were a happy camper?
- --
Steve

The thing that really kills you on the ISP end is RED... it may be great for
large traffic but it just KILLS voip... and there's not thing 1 you the
customer can do about it...  :(