[Asterisk-Users] VoIP experiences with Cable and DSL

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Aug 3 16:05:44 MST 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 12:07, Steve Szmidt wrote:
> But with VoIP it has to go both ways and things like latency can easily
> become a big issue. (I have cable and it seems that I get sound
> degradations much easier than I'm comfortable with, yes it's a shared
> connection with occational POP traffic. Also, I'm only talking about
> dedicated network connections for final implementation.)

As the old Rogers Cable and Bell HSE commercials used to slog it out with
"With cable you're all sharing a link, with HSE it's individual links" --
there is some truth in that.

You have a dedicated TX/RX interface with DSL; once you hit the DSLAM you are,
of course, just part of some gigantic ATM flood but at least the bandwidth on
that ATM network is likely far beyond what is normally available.  With cable
you're fighting to talk; something that QoS isn't going to help with in a
CSMA/CD network.

> So, what I realized was that I have no real data to operate with is, and
> has anyone done an evaluation of typical needs which shows DSL better
> suited for VoIP? F.ex. cable shares the pipe and unless QoS is implemented
> can reasonably have more traffic issues than DSL.

QoS isn't going to help you get to talk in a crowded CSMA/CD network.

-A.