[Asterisk-Users] G729 Codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Aug 3 08:58:34 MST 2004

Adam Hart wrote:

> Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>> Adam Hart wrote:

>>> G.729 has lost packet concealment, G.711 doesn't. G.711 will sound
>>> better otherwise if you can afford the bandwidth.
>>

>> Eh? G.729 has no particular features to allow more effective packet
>> loss concealment. iLBC has, but at the cost of a substantially higher
>> bit rate. In fact G.711 is a little ahead of G.729 in the regard,
>> since packets are completely independant. The smoothing in G.729
>> means you need the previous packet to decode the current one properly.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Steve
>>

> I believe you're mistaken - G.729 works similar to iLBC and speex.
> iLBC works better as the packets are independent but G.729 still has a
> function for packet loss concealment.
>
> prehaps have a look at http://www.speex.org/comparison.html

It would probably help if you understood what that table means. It is
very misleading. G.729 has features to mitigate the awfulness of a lost
packet. It has nothing to help conceal lost packets really well. What I
said is correct. If you fudge over a lost G.711 packet it has less bad
effect than fudging over a lost G.729 packet. There is no missing
smoothing data, so at least the packets you have are handled properly.

Regards,
Steve