Fw: [Asterisk-Users] Digium FXO Interfaces don't support groundstart???

Frank Cofer fcofer at lifelabs.net
Tue Aug 3 05:47:32 MST 2004

A thought occurred to me to on how to further quantify the impact of "glare"
on a properly dimensioned trunk group and debunk the ground start glare
concern.  A cursory traffic analysis clarifies:

1.  Assume you have a two-way trunk group, dimensioned for average busy
hour, average busy season for P01 grade of service, Erlang B or Poison
distribution.

2.  Further assume that the average holding time per call is the national
average of 300s (5 minutes).

3.  Further assume that you have a worse case CPE incoming glare condition
by using the previously described brain dead arrangement of an ancient PBX
with ring detect as an incoming connect signal and a worse case CO that has
non-immediate ring (2s on 4s off cadence), yielding a horrific average glare
interval of 2 seconds instead of the typical of 10-50ms that would be normal
for change of state detection/immediate ring typical loop supervision line.

4.  Further assume that the two-way hunt order is inverse  (e.g., CO
ascending, CPE descending terminal hunt) as it should be.

What would be the expected incidence of glare in the busy hour?

By definition (1, above) the probability that any attempt arriving for the
assumed offered load, arriving at random, having exponentially distributed
holding times and having infinite sources will find any circuit busy would
be 1 out of 100 busy hour attempts for all calls (including those that
encounter glare).

Understand first that only 1 out of 100 attemps will find any facility
occupied at all.  Then, for the busy event that is encountered, what is the
probability that it is the result of two calls, arriving at random, and
seize the same trunk from opposite ends during a concurrent 2 second window
for the assumed traffic intensity?

Intuitively, encountering a glare condition would certainly have to be far
less probable than encountering just any busy condition, which is the
traffic distribution equation's prediction.

In fact, since the average call holding time of 300 seconds (5 minutes) is
150 times more than the assumed average glare interval of 2 seconds, it is
far more likely to find a call in the non-glare state when the predicted
loss event occurs than finding it is the result of the assumed glare
condition of two calls, arriving at random from opposite ends, occuring
within a window of the 2 seconds.  This is not just a simple ratio of the
average glare holding time versus the average call holding time (because the
distribution equation assumes exponential distribution of holding times),
but it is far less than 1 out of 1000 attempts for the assumed average
holding time and the average glare interval.

To put some real numbers on this for illustration, a trunk group for a full
T1 of 24 channels will carry 21.125 erlang (Poisson) in the busy hour.  It
will have 253 attempts (from the typical average holding time assumed in 2,
above), of which only three will encounter a busy.  Of the three that
encounter a busy, it is very unlikely any would encounter glare.  Over time
(an interval of days), some nevertheless will.

Note that this is not what was previously described in the horror stories
related.  Trunks were sticking all over the place and a rash of problems
were encountered, provoking panic.  The situation was so awful that it
caused the ensuing foaming at the mouth, displacing it to a fault of Digium
being too cheap to put in required features, or "ignorant" engineers for not
having the wisdom and experience to insist on ground start to alleviate the
near certain disaster that would inevitably occur on both large or small
trunk groups.

Now let's take a look at a far more likely scenario that is supported by the
same traffic theory:

5.  Assume that you have both ends hunting in the same order from both
directions, i. e., the same hunt order from both the central office and the
PBX (say both hunt in ascending order).   The remaining assumptions (1
through 3, above) still are valid.

The traffic scenario drastically changes.  Now the incoming/outgoing traffic
is always focused on the next idle line instead of the full dimension of all
of the servers in the group.   In essence it behaves like a trunk group of 1
and the probability of failure now rises asymptotically.  Two hundred
fifty-three busy hour attempts (from the previous example) on a trunk group
of one would raise the incidence of failure due to glare significantly and
the now trivial 2 seconds (or even 50ms) is of dire importance.  Worse, the
glare interval is not over several days and confined to the busy hour, it
now raises its ugly head for just about any time of the day.  But it becomes
massive during the busy hour.  Trunks hang, subscribers complain, and the
situtation looks like it is going to hell in a hand basket.

Ground start is invoked and the problem appears to go away.

The ground start "cure" simply masks the problem.  If a identical hunting
arrangement is used at both ends, PBX and CO 2nd trial failures abound, but
calls do go through or are blocked from double connection because the ground
start recovers from the collision.  It doesn't reduce the incidence of glare
mathematically predicted.  It justs copes with it by invoking an
(unnecessary) 2nd trial.  The very fact that the "pre-seize" test describe
by the previsous contributor is used at all makes this evident.  Think about
it:  Properly dimensoned, only three busy events will occur at all in the
busy hour for a 24 server trunk group.  Why is the "pre-seize" so vital?
The problem is still there, it is beating the switchgear to death, but it is
no longer causing subscriber complaints.

6.  This is why I just can't believe the terrible incidence of "glare"
described by the previous contributors.  It either has to be a drastically
under dimensioned trunk group, a colliding hunting order, or cockpit trouble
in the hardware configuration of the trunks.

7.  Analogously, it is better to avoid an accident than to drive recklessly
and rely on air bags.

Hope this helps.

were
> > somewhat brain dead and could not recognize an incoming connect from the
> > central office using loop supervision until ringing was applied.  For
> these
> > PBXs, they relied merely on the presence of ringing (AC on tip to ring >
> 65
> > volts and wait for a sufficient time to ignore transient spikes) as an
> > incoming signal.  This is the fault of using ringdown detection instead
of
> > change of state for an incoming connect when loop supervision is
employed.
> > Severely aggravating this, many older central offices did not have
> > multi-phased "immediate" ring, thus the combination of "ring detect" and
> > non-immediate ringing could delay up to four seconds (due to the ringing
> > cadence of two seconds on and four seconds off) before the associated
PBX
> [...]
> > can do what's singly best for their customer.  Or, you might argue that
> Bell
> > Labs (Avaya) was unaware of the dangers of glare that are present when
you
> > don't have ground start as simply lacks the wisdom of your ten years
> > experience.  I don't know what there reasons were for abandoning ground
> > start, but I think the reasons I have given above should certainly
> suffice.
> >
> > 8.  How do you prevent (or minimize) glare on a two way circuit via
fiber
> > optic, since there is no earth ground?  Your answer, if your head firmly
> is
> > not implanted firmly in the sand, should make you come to terms that
glare
> > is independent of ground and, indeed, is independent of any supervision
> > method.  It is merely a function of time.  No amount of signaling
schemes
> > can eliminate it for two-way circuits.  One can only reduce it by
speeding
> > up the communication of the state at each end to the other end or
> lessening
> > the probability that the event will occur by changing the hunt order.
> Even
> > ISDN PRI using common channel signaling is still susceptible to glare on
> > 2-way circuits and still employs inverse hunt order to minimize glare.
> >
> > 9.  I have a hard time correlating anything but an overloaded or
> > misconfigured trunk group that would be responsible for the severe
> problems
> > given as horror examples you and the previous writer have related, since
> any
> > glare interval is relatively short if the system is properly configured
> > (inverse hunting sequence) and the probability that a circuit would be
> > simultaneously seized would be relatively infrequent unless it is
severely
> > underdimensioned.  How large was the trunk group you had, what was the
> > traffic carried and what was the engineered grade of service? Did you
> check
> > the time of disconnect of the associated central office trunk?   What
was
> > the guard interval employed?  Did you have immediate ring from the
central
> > office?  Did you use change of state for an incoming call with loop
> > supervison?  Did you have reverse battery disconnect supervison from the
> CO?
> >
> > Finally, there are two times one should mention their credentials:
> shortly
> > before they're hired and shortly before they should be fired.  Lawyers
> argue
> > credentials, scientists argue verifiable facts. Those that mention their
> > credentials to persuade, don't even believe themselves.
> >
> > Tone down your rhetoric, forget your credentials, and think.

After
> we

I'm