[Asterisk-Users] G729 or GSM

Jean-Yves Avenard jean-yves.avenard at hydrix.com
Mon Aug 2 19:55:45 MST 2004

Dear all.

I recently subscribed to a VoIP provider through IAX.
The require to connect with either G729 or GSM, I chose G729 based on
their recommendation.

The service works very well, however ... people mentions how distorted
our voice sounds. We have plenty of bandwidth available so I don't
think it comes from our side.
What it means is that it comes from two things:
1-G729 gives bad voice quality. So will GSM provides a better voice
quality than G729?
2-VoIP provider has a screwy setup. I guess I will have to sort out 1
first. Maybe I can convince them to use iLbc instead.

Regards
Jean-Yves

---
Jean-Yves Avenard