[Asterisk-Users] G729 Codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Aug 2 17:12:01 MST 2004

Adam Hart wrote:

> Daniel Niasoff wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>

>> Is G729 more sensitive to packet loss or delays due to it’s higher
>> compression. If I’ve generally got the bandwidth available, am I best
>> sticking to ulaw.
>>

> G.729 has lost packet concealment, G.711 doesn't. G.711 will sound
> better otherwise if you can afford the bandwidth.

Eh? G.729 has no particular features to allow more effective packet loss
concealment. iLBC has, but at the cost of a substantially higher bit
rate. In fact G.711 is a little ahead of G.729 in the regard, since
packets are completely independant. The smoothing in G.729 means you
need the previous packet to decode the current one properly.

Regards,
Steve