[Asterisk-Users] RC1 - error message : Request to schedule in the past

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Mon Aug 2 07:24:54 MST 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Areski wrote:

> I have made an update to asterisk RC1 - all works well :)
> but  I am getting all the time an error message:
>
> Aug  2 13:34:57 NOTICE[15375]: sched.c:221 sched_settime: Request to
> schedule in the past?!?!
> Aug  2 13:34:57 NOTICE[18446]: sched.c:221 sched_settime: Request to
> schedule in the past?!?!
>

> I cannot figure out if this error message is important or not and if
> there is a real problem !
>

> I found that in the wiki but it s quite poor for me to understand
> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Request+to+schedule+in+the+past

It means "something can't keep up" -- in other words, your computer is
slow (like mine.. I get these messages often!). I don't know; maybe it
could be due to network congestion, but I'd say it is most likely because
your processor+RAM aren't able to run fast enough.

You probably notice (if you're on a call while these show up) that the
audio doesn't sound very good.

Running the console with fewer v's (asterisk -rc instead of asterisk
-vvvvrc, for example) could help, or simply not running the console at all
could also help (use safe_asterisk to start asterisk without a console
attached to it). Transcoding (changing audio from one codec to another)
puts an extra burden on the CPU. Using the same codec for everything might
help. (unless it is a high compression (processor-intensive) codec like
g.729)

If the poorer audio quality doesn't bother you, then just ignore the
message.

Greg