[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk GUIs at Astricon * REMINDER *

matt.riddell at sineapps.com matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Sun Aug 1 16:37:28 MST 2004

On 29 Jul 2004 at 12:04, Kanuri, Seshu wrote:

> Benj,
>
> This is not mud throwing. This is constructive criticism for the
> contributors to be more productive.

1. Don't post in html...I have to scroll three pages to the right
just to read it.

2. Don't top post.

> Please remember that anything that is given here as "usable solution"
> should not only be usable but also useful. Whereas Destar is not. It
> just does not do anything. It has a totally blank vanilla interface to
> it.

3. Judging from the screenshots (and assuming you are correct) the
author has decided to develop a GUI before doing the back end coding.
 While this is not the direction I would choose, it is by all means a
viable development option.

> Remember that the issue here is "GUI Solution for Managing Asterisk".
> Destar does not fall into that category and the code written in Python
> just dont jell well with the Asterisk community, who are mostly
> Non-Techie novices trying to understand what is good about Asterisk.

4. Remember that GUI stands for Graphical User Interface.  This is
obviously a GUI.  Does it manage Asterisk?  It looks like it's
supposed to, whether or not the code has been developed for the back
end?

> I made these comments as I have spent some time trying to figure out
> if Destar is really useful.

5. It's comments like these that stop people from releasing open
source software.  How much is he charging you for it?  If I was him
(and I hope he is slightly less hot headed than myself) I would have
stopped developing the project and told you to....hrmmm public
list....

6. Re the comment about python: Even though I don't use python, I
would say that the variation definitely does Jel (as you put it) with
the asterisk community.  I love it when someone develops code in one
of my favourite language.

7. Re everyone being newbie's: Not everyone here is a newbie.  Even
if we were, it would be no excuse to not learn.  Surely the process
of learning is what turns one from n0Ob to 31337.  Yes I understand
that your average Jo user understands nothing about asterisk or linux
or C or python etc, but in order to install asterisk, we've all had
to at least have some interaction with Asterisk.

8. Re constructive critisism: The way this is usually done is to a)
find something that you think would be better done another way, and
b) if possible offer an option as to how it may be done in the
future.  This is all crap is not constructive critisism.  Although
saying you should do this in C (or whichever you'd prefer), this is
not helpful constructive critisism as the developer has obviously
developed thus far using other software.  (i.e. if I said to you
build me a house, and then during the bulding phase you said can you
move it 10 metres to the right, this would be difficult and more so
the more time has passed since the developer began).

Sorry if this seems like a rant, but I've noticed a definate change
in the way that the asterisk community is acting in the last two or
three months, and it's not good.

Have a happy day,

Matt Riddell