[Asterisk-Users] Using a DNS name for externip in sip.conf

Ian Hailey asterisk at dinplug.com
Sun Aug 1 06:20:02 MST 2004

Hello Dennis,

I also wanted to know this and from having a quick look at the
chan_sip.c I can see that the name is resolved only at startup when the
sip.conf is read.

        } else if (!strcasecmp(v->name, "externip")) {
            if (!(hp = ast_gethostbyname(v->value, &ahp)))
                ast_log(LOG_WARNING, "Invalid address for externip
keyword: %s\n", v->value);
            else
                memcpy(&externip.sin_addr, hp->h_addr,
sizeof(externip.sin_addr));

I will modify my chan_sip.c to re-resolve the name every time a
registration timeout occurs (defined by defaultexpirey). It would be
nice if they could add it to the normal release. If this works then I
will post the code changes somewhere (don't know how to do that yet).

Ian Hailey.