[Asterisk-Users] festival and gcc 3.3.2 (Fedora Core 1)

Quentin Cope quentin at thecopes.org.uk
Fri Apr 30 23:44:08 MST 2004

Reed

I had the same problem yesterday. I have a gentoo system here. I first used
gentoo's emerge to install festival 1.4.3-r1. This worked out that it needed
speech tools and downloaded that along with festival and built with no
problems. From the command line I could get festival working but I found
that I could not get asterisk to work with it.

I then read the notes on www.voip-info.org on how to get festival working
with asterisk. I realised that I was going to need to patch the source and
build the stuff myself but when I tried to do this I ran into the same
problem as you. At that point I was stuck as I really don't know too much
about how emerge works on gentoo. I could see how I could get emerge to just
download source and not install but I didn't really know the correct way of
then using the source and installing at a later date...... I am sure this
isn't the right thing to do but I ended up running emerge to get the source,
I then paused emegre once it had extracted the source to a temp directory,
patched the source there and then let emerge compile and install festival.

Bottom line is that by some magic emerge on gentoo is able to build speech
tools on a system where doing it by hand doesn't seem to. I wonder if emerge
is using some different compiler switches to make a later compiler behave
like and earlier one?

Quentin