[Asterisk-Users] IAX Channel Capacity

willy at yponeinc.com willy at yponeinc.com
Fri Apr 30 17:02:10 MST 2004

To the list ...
I got the IAX2 stuff simplified & working (for now).
See my earlier posting to the list.
Now, here's a question for you all.
I found a posting by J Todd where he gives BW utilization
for various IAX2 codecs with trunking on. Now, the number of
calls I can sustain over an IAX channel, obviously is going
to be determined by the capacity and state of the physical
pipe. Typically, here in the office I have a burstable T1.
The other office has a CIR of 762kbps or such. At the house
I have ADSL with 128kbps uplink. At some number of calls,
the channel will collapse. With a PRI, that's not a problem.
Once all my T1 channels are busy, I get an unavailble, and I
can inform the caller or take other action. With a IAX
trunk, I have already observed (at the house) serious
call/voice deterioration due to channel verload.  How does
one stop this? I.e. it would be very desirable to specify
channel capacity (say xx number of simultaneous calls
allowed) and force an 'unavailable' if more is demanded.
Any thoughts on this?
Cheers,
WW

Willy Wouters