[Asterisk-Users] RE: E164 updater Client

Dean Collins dean at collins.net.pr
Thu Apr 29 20:25:44 MST 2004

Hi Asterisk users/e164 developers,

I have had an idea on how to improve the functionality of the E164
service.

The idea is that when I'm no longer at my house I actually want to
receive calls at another number

So I have a small software client on my windows desktop and I tell it
I'm no longer here I'm going to be on my mobile (similar to the
no-ip.com dns updater I use)

The client then updates the e164 database

When the ping comes from my friends asterisk it says dean is available
on +61-2-9599-2223

My friends asterisk then dials me directly via pstn.

Now I understand some concerns about 1900 numbers and mischief etc,
although I don't think this is an issue, a suggestion that e164 database
could read back the numbers before using the 'tell' command to instruct
asterisk to dial out.

The sound file "This call is to be diverted to pstn number
'6'1'2'9'5'9'9'2'2'2'3'" could be played. Then the caller can hang up if
they don't want the call to go through. Easy to implement and failsafe.

I talked about this with the siemens Openscape guys, they were 1/
impressed with what E164 had done as a non profit operation and 2/ a
little concerned about how quickly ideas were being incorporated into
open source :)

The E164 guys commented on how;
1/ this would not be immediate change to dns as it would take about 10
mins for the dns to update (ok but considering you are a free service
not really that big an issue)

2/ that it would increase the work load of the dns servers (ok but if
the idea takes off then there are ways around this)

3/ that you have other plans in the road map that have priority......ok
I can understand that but this seems like a very simple option.

Does anyone on either lists have any thoughts or comments? I think that
this would be a great way to enhance the functionality of asterisk.

Regards,

Dean Collins
+61-413-00-33-99
dean at cognation.net