[Asterisk-Users] Vonage and * (and what about those ATAs?)

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Thu Apr 29 17:16:04 MST 2004

I asked Vonage innocently about Asterisk integration -- basically
explaining that any line that comes in on an ATA (rather than direct to
the * server) costs me an extra $80 for an FXO card.  Made the statement
that I pretty much need to quit my $60/month Vonage habit unless they
provide Asterisk support.

Response was that they are currently working on it (I offered
beta-assistance, but they're "not that far yet").  Bottom line: No
Asterisk support in the near future.

Next I inquired about the fate of my two ATAs:  Cancelling will get me
charged $40 cancellation fee.  For an additional $15, I can have them
unlocked -- and "they're fully usable, you won't need a Cisco license".
Considering that sending them back will probably cost me $10, I can keep
my two used ATA186s for $50/each.  I don't like having to pay for the
"free ATA" that was advertised, but I don't think I'll be able to get
two working ATAs for the same price anywhere else.

Vonage, thine days are numbered.

On the up-side, I got my RH9 system set up with Asterisk (CVS 4/28), one
SIP phone, IAXTel and FWD.  Amazingly trouble-free installation, except
for the choppy voice-mail prompts (I know, no zaptel card yet).
Asterisk rocks, but I'm sure you people know that.

Now off to ordering my hardware from the good folks at Digium.