[Asterisk-Users] Lucent Phones

Steve Towlson steve.towlson at citel.com
Thu Apr 29 06:58:54 MST 2004

If you just wanted to get IP connectivity to your ICS, then using Citel products may not be the way to go.

If you have outgrown your ICS and want to add more phones, or if you want to add a voice mail system for example, then moving to an IP system can be more cost effective.  It all comes down to where you want to take your system and how much it costs.

If you are already using Asterisk for VoIP then you've already made the decision and sorted the phones out - you wouldn't buy a handset gateway.  But if you were a legacy phone user now, and you were considering VoIP, then you wouldn't have to be tied to the same legacy PBX vendor.  Using a handset gateway gives you the choice of going with various IP-PBX solutions.

The question originally asked was whether legacy phones could be supported from Asterisk - the answer is yes.  If the solution suits a particular requirement then fine, if it doesn't then you have to look elsewhere, but there are plenty of legacy PBX users out there who are intending to take advantage of IP telephony, but who want to keep the huge investment they've made in their handsets.

Regards,
Steve.