[Asterisk-Users] POTS fail-over?

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Wed Apr 28 07:26:11 MST 2004

Good point, but probably overkill again, as my requirements are simple:
I'm aiming to replace my home-PBX; I work at home, so the odds of me not
being around when this happens are low.  And if the power goes out and
the wife's alone, she also has a cell-phone available.  I'd rather have
the thing recover without intervention and risk being disconnected.
Power doesn't go out more than once a month, and only once in the two
years we lived here did it last long enough for the UPSs shut down my
computers.

If someone's interested in the reset-button, you're correct, it's very
easy: The relay I've been looking at is a 4PDT type.  To switch one
line, I only need two of the four switches.  I'll power the coil through
one of the NO contacts and then bypass that contact with a momentary
switch.  When you first apply power, the relay remains powerless.  Once
you hit the momentary switch, the relay latches and the extra contact
continues to power the coil when you release the switch & everyone's
happy.

Breaking out my trusty PIC programmer, I could probably do line-voltage
detection and automatically latch the relay once the incoming line is